Sunday, June 13, 2010

All movies should have posters, dang it.There was no movie poster, so I improvised with the game itself.

It’s one thing for me to review movies everybody’s seen.  All I can give you is my take and perspective on the movie.  But it’s another thing for me to review a movie I know for a fact only a few hundred people have seen, as is the case with the short film Death By Scrabble, directed by Chris Hernandez.  I happen to know for a fact this was entered in the Golden Eagle Film Festival and it won first place for comedy.  I know this because I was there.  It is based on the short story of the same name by Charlie Fish.

The plot is basically this: man plays Scrabble with his wife.  Man hates wife.  Man ponders how to kill wife while playing Scrabble.  Hilarity ensues.  The running time is only 9:32, but this film makes great use of the time.  We learn everything we need to know about our character, we get twists and surprises, and most important for a comedy, we get laughs.  I only have praise for this thing, but as it is so short I don’t want to say too much, or else I’d give it all away.  Besides, you can just watch it:

 

I hope you give this short film the love it deserves.  I rate it four stars for being a very solid example on how to do a short film.

Professional and captivating.

No comments:

Post a Comment