Wednesday, June 30, 2010

I am so excited for Pee-Wee to come back to the big screen.  Universal is helming the movie, and Reubens himself is penning the movie with Paul Rust.  Judd Apatow is also in on the fun.

The last big screen adventure was Big Top Pee-Wee, which, let’s face it, sucked.  Sucked really really hard.  The only scenes I particularly enjoyed in that movie was Screech being in the movie for three seconds and the three seconds of Tequila Song at the end of the movie.  You know, the ending felt like this is where the movie should have started, and it ended so abruptly.  Seriously, though, if I were Dustin Diamond, I wouldn’t even worry about that Screech thing.  If that hadn’t happened, he would have forever been associated as that kid from Big Top Pee-Wee.  Screech’s girlfriends were Punky Brewster and Tori Spelling.  I’m just saying.

Of course, theatrically, the biggest competition this Pee-Wee movie would have is Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure.  The movie, which was also the directorial debut of Tim Burton, shows there is nothing as purely awesome as the story of a boy and his bike.  Plus, the Tequila Song is a classic!

No matter what this movie has planned, if it doesn’t have a reference to the Tequila Song, it already loses a point to Big Top Pee-Wee.

I love the movies, but I must confess: the movies make me sad.  His furniture doesn’t talk!  I loved Pee-Wee’s Playhouse most of all, and I love Chairry.  And Pterry.  Oh, heck, I even have a soft spot for Randy.  Plus, Laurence Fishburne was Cowboy Curtis, and it even had the late great Phil Hartman as Captain Carl.  Oh, and how I used to be obsessed with Jambi the Genie.

But let’s be serious.  I love Paul Reubens.  Buffy the Vampire Slayer?  It was all about him.  You Don’t Know Jack?  He was the second best host ever!  (I still love Cookie with my heart and soul.)  Pushing Daisies?  Why wasn’t he in the second season?!  My mom thinks I’m crazy for liking him, but the man is brilliant.

Really, this was just a long, round about way for me to say I CAN’T WAIT FOR THE FREAKING PEE-WEE MOVIE!!!!!  Once I see it, I can die happy.  I mean, with Reubens and Apatow attached…

Oh, wait.  Universal.  Systematically killing my childhood one movie at a time since Josie and the Pussycats.  But they also make some really good original movies, like Bruce Almighty

No, it will be AWESOME and it will OWN every other Pee-Wee property EVER.  Or I will die sad of a sadgasm right in the theatre.

No pressure on it being the best movie ever, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment